Tools and Materials
These books and articles are essential texts of the program, and form the foundation of the manager’s professional library.
All program books are available for purchase at the Humans At Work store at Amazon.com.
Harvard Business Review articles are available for purchase at the Harvard Business Review website.
Other articles are available as noted.
- Becoming a Manager: How New Managers Master the Challenges of Leadership – Linda A. Hill, Harvard Business School Press, 2003
- Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss what Matters Most – Douglas Stone, Bruce Patton and Sheila Heen, Penguin Books, 2000
- Oxford Guide to Plain English – Martin Cutts, Oxford University Press, 2007
- Fierce Conversations: Achieving Success at Work and in Life One Conversation at a Time – Susan Scott, Berkley Books, 2004
- The New Compleat Facilitator: A Handbook For Facilitators – Drew Howick, Howick Associates, 2002
- The Essential Drucker: The Best of Sixty Years of Peter Drucker’s Essential Writings on Management (Collins Business Essentials) – Peter F. Drucker, Collins Business/HarperCollins, 2008
- The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook – Peter M. Senge, Charlotte Roberts, Richard B. Ross, Bryan J. Smith, Art Kleiner, Currency/Doubleday, 1994
- The Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense at Work – Suzette Haden Elgin, Prentice Hall, 2000
- Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change – William Bridges, Da Capo Press, 2003
- “Why Your Employees Are Losing Motivation” — David Sirota, Louis A. Mischkind and Michael Irwin Meltzer, Harvard Business School Working Knowledge website.
- “The Human Side of Management” — Thomas Teal, Harvard Business Review, November-December 1996.
- “Power Is the Great Motivator” — David C. McClelland and David H. Burnham, Harvard Business Review, January 2003.
- “The Five Minds of a Manager” — Jonathan Gosling and Henry Mintzberg, Harvard Business Review, November 2003.
- “How to Build Your Network” — Brian Uzzi and Shannon Dunlap, Harvard Business Review, Dec 2005.
- “Active Listening” — Mind Tools company website.
- “Guidelines for Active Listening and Reflection” — Don Sharp, Sales Concepts company website.
- “Behavioral Interviewing Strategies for Job-Seekers” — Katharine Hansen, Quintessential Careers company website.
- “How Management Teams Can Have a Good Fight” — Kathleen M. Eisenhardt, Jean L. Kahwajy and L.J. Bourgeois III, Harvard Business Review, July-August 1997.
- “Want Collaboration?” — Jeff Weiss and Jonathan Hughes, Harvard Business Review, March 2005.
- “Communities of Practice: A Brief Introduction” by — Etienne Wenger, at his website.
- “Communities of Practice: Learning as a Social System” — Etienne Wenger, the Community Intelligence Labs website.
Program Tools and Handouts
The following tools, worksheets and handouts are included in the downloadable Tools and Materials document on the sidebar.
- Confidentiality Contract
- Hierarchical vs. Web Models of Organizations
- Prioritizing Key Business Relationships
- Example Relationship Map
- Key Relationship Worksheet
- Interpersonal Gap
- Ladder of Assumption
- Human/Business Interaction Model
- Basic Communication Guidelines (face to face, by telephone and through email)
- Basic Elements of a Clear Business Communication
- Strategies and Tips for Being Clear
- Strategies and Tips for Being Transparent
- Strategies and Tips for Being Authentic
- Team Accountabilities
- Determining Priorities
- Managing Priorities Quadrant Grid
- Decision Models
- Process for Making Effective Decisions
- Grid Tool (for group decision-making)
- Team Agreements
- Process for Creating Team Agreements
- Example Team Orientation Notes
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Example Team Member Roles and Responsibilities
- Example Manager Roles and Responsibilities
- Team Ground Rules
- Example Team Member Ground Rules
- Example Manager Ground Rules
- Key Processes
- Key Information
- Behavior-Based Interviewing Process
- Job Description for Interview Candidates
- Behavior-Based Interview Template
- Interview Rating Sheet
- Onboarding and Training Plan
- Example 90-Day Goals
- Giving Performance Reviews
- Self-Evaluation Template
- Example Performance Review
- Effective Business Conflict
- Homework Assignment Sheets for all sessions